Victoria Tower was designed by Jesse Hartley and was constructed between 1847 and 1848, to commemorate the opening of Salisbury Dock. It's design was based upon an earlier drawing by Philip Hardwick in 1846.
Often referred to as the 'docker's clock', it was built as an aid to ships in the port, as it allowed them to set the correct time as they sailed out into the Irish Sea, while its bell warned of impending meteorological changes such as high tide and fog. Upon its completion is also served as a flat for the Pier Master.
In 1975, the building was added to the Statutory List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest with Grade II status.